Friday, October 15, 2010

Monster Raccoon

So my mom let her dog, Charlie - a small poodle that weighs 12 pounds, out into the back yard to go potty and he was attacked by a raccoon that was 3 times his size. It had a hold of Charlie by the back so he couldn't fight back! My mom heard the dog yelping and headed out there fast, grabbing a heavy object as she went, and as she hit the wet grass she slipped and fell. She managed to throw the object toward the raccoon as she went down and nearly hit it and the object landed close enough to the raccoon that it was surprised and distracted enough that Charlie got loose. My oldest son was there and heard the racket and went running out to help, he grabbed a shovel and headed toward the raccoon getting between it and Mom as she got up and got Charlie in the house. My son chased the raccoon out of the yard but he was hoping to get a good cracking swing at it. Charlie has many bites all over his back and on his haunches but thankfully none of them are severe. The cornea of his eye got scraped so that is a big concern and will have to heal properly, and he's bruised and sore. My mom is ok, so far no injuries that we know of although due to the adrenaline sometimes things don't show right away. She also happens to be sick with a nasty cold so she'll be resting up and watching for injuries. I took down the rest of the grapes Mom has in her backyard cuz that's what seems to attract the raccoons so hopefully it won't come back. That raccoon is a monster, huge! I hope animal control can trap it or something and kill it or get it out of the area. I'm so thankful Mom & Charlie are ok!

1 comment:

  1. Geesh Jeannie!! I'm hoping that your mom is okay.. and I'm sorry about Charlie.. his rabies shot is up to date right? That could be a real problem otherwise.. Hope that he heals quickly... I miss you!

    ReplyDelete